2/17/2011

‘Acceleration vs. Compression’, 2011 at Or-Bits.com

Adventures in the Tulgey Wood
Marialaura Ghidini asked me to contribute to her Acceleration Show on Or-bits.com. I really like the theme and I wish I would have had more time to write or make a more extensive work for her. The online show opened last weekend and has some nice spocky references. Here are some more details about my work, for the work itself and the rest of the exhibition you should check out the or-bits website.

‘Acceleration vs. Compression’, 2011
I aimed to make a short audiovisual work, but once I had finished it, I did not feel satisfied; I think that it was because the sounds I created for the animation did not feel right.
The original video was compressed as an AVI Cinepak, which is an obsolete compression since its colour palette is not being recognised anymore – this is why the colors look so psychedelic –.
I decided to delete the sound and to shorten the piece into an animated GIF.
The compression of the GIF is an old fashioned compression that cuts out a lot of data, in order to be able to be downloaded faster – it is a “save for the web” setting –-.
The GIF will accelerate when it is loading.
To me this is a form of technological poetry, visualizing the story about deletion by compressions, in order accelerate. 

No comments: